Clean underwear is one of those essentials in life.
Careless washing will wear out your underwear’s elasticity, colour, and durability much sooner than you or we would like.
So we’re here to offer our advice on looking after your Lounge underwear, separating fact from fiction, and giving you the tips that will keep you lounging in comfort.
The first question is probably the most common question we find our female family asking…
Machine wash or hand wash?
Honestly, underwear care definitely changes with each style, so naturally how you wash them changes too.
Cotton pieces can be washed on a 30°C heat in your washing machine, while your more delicate lace pieces can more often than not require a little more care when it comes to washing, meaning a hand wash would be most suitable and highly recommended by us.
Keep reading for all of the details you need to care for your Lounge purchases. Don’t worry, we’re here to offer the best advice to keep your collection fresh.
Machine washing steps, as told by Lounge with Lounge designs in mind:
- Read the care instructions found inside your Lounge pieces. For almost all of our underwear designs we recommend machine washing at 30 degrees for the ultimate washing experience for your undies. There are limited designs within our collections that we do suggest hand washing to ensure you’re taking care of those more luxurious, delicate pieces, such as our Intimates. If you see the hand wash symbol, refer to our girl guide to hand washing below.
- Turn your underwear inside out before popping it in the washer and for any bras that include a hook and eye, clasp these together too. For extra love & care, your underwear can be zipped into a mesh underwear wash bag for added protection, giving your underwear the ultimate TLC whilst it’s in the wash (tender Lounge care).
- You must-must-must have the right kind of items joining your underwear in the wash. Try not to include rough items like jeans or heavy garments such as towels, as these can be guilty of damaging your underwear during the cycle.
- You need to also spend a little time separating out your whites from your brights, and also your brights from your darks. If you’re wondering what pile of washing applies to Lounge pieces that have a contrast white or black binding and Lounge banners, we recommend using the main fabrication colour as your indication of which pile that set goes into. We’ve worked long and hard to ensure that our binding and Lounge banners do not leak colour.
- If you’re washing any black sets with white binding and banners - we highly recommend avoiding newly purchased black products that are experiencing their first wash, as we’re unable to control the leakage of products not purchased from Lounge - so just bear that in mind to ensure you keep your white Lounge banners fresher than fresh.
- Choose a mild washing powder and conditioner that will be gentle on our Lounge fabrics and on your skin, and check that the washing machine temperature matches the care label instructions one more time before starting a ‘gentle’ or ‘delicate' cycle.
- When the cycle is finished, remove your underwear as early as possible to keep them smelling beautifully fresh.
- We 100% recommend hang drying your underwear. Try not to ring or twist it once out of the machine - instead press & squeeze - this will help to take care of your underwear’s shape and maintain the perfect, long lasting fit with Lounge.
- If you absolutely have to tumble dry your sets, we definitely recommend the lowest heat.
- We do strongly suggest that you do not tumble dry your bras as the intense heat can permanently misshape and damage your bra - and trust us, we’d be as upset as you!
Lounge care symbols
To ensure you’re totally happy with your underwear care steps, see below symbols you’re likely to see on your Lounge care label or printed into the back of your pieces with an explanation of what’s what.
How often should I wash my Lounge pieces?
Thongs, Briefs and Boxers should absolutely be washed after each wear as a standard, while your bra doesn’t necessarily need to be washed after every single wear.
Your bra can hug your body for around 3-4 wears before it needs to be washed, depending on your day-to-day and your personal preferences. It is worth noting that washing your bra too often can be damaging to its shape and structure.
More breast practices that your underwear will thank you for…
- Like us, bras need their beauty sleep. We don’t recommend wearing the same bra day after day, so adding additional bras to your rotation will ensure you’re maintaining that perfect Lounge fit and feel.
- Store your bras with a little TLC too...
- For all our foam moulded cups we advise folding them in half, pushing one cup into the other and then allowing them to spoon each other in your drawer.
- For our bras that are not moulded cups (such as the Balcony, Triangle & more) - we recommend lying them fiat, one on top of the other and creating a bra drawer of dreams with lots of beautiful colours and fabrics lying seamlessly together - filling your drawer with Female Family faves.